Wednesday 15 February 2017

Interview with disabled man - NDIS not a "burden" on society

Newspaper claiming I'm a burden for being on the Disability Support Pension
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) was started by Labor and now is in the hands of the Lieberals. Treasurer Scott Morrison appears to think that it's a burden on the budget. In his latest failed attempt to get 2014 budget welfare cuts through the senate, he used the NDIS as leverage saying that the cuts from welfare would be directed to funding the NDIS. He failed with the numbers lining up against him in the senate.

Here we have a most interesting interview with a paralympic disabled person, who goes through and points out how disapointing it is that the NDIS has become politicised, and that it's not welfare as it will fund itself. The NDIS, from what I can gather, is about enabling people with disabilities to engage in society and become employed, or contribute in some way to society rather than just being at home all day unable to do anything. A very honest and heart felt interview.

I myself know little about the NDIS, despite that it's already been rolled out across NSW. To me it sounds like another gov bureaucracy all set to tell me what they can't do for me because I can't jump through their hoops. I'm probably wrong but it's understandable I'd feel that way after our Centrelink experiences.

I got a phone call earlier today from the charity bringing around a box full of fruit and veges once a week for only $12, to check on the latest bla about my present condition, medications, what more I might need perhaps. They're required to do that as they recieve funding from the NSW gov. At one point as I was explaining things the lady said "sounds like you're going through a rough time". I haven't thought about it really, but maybe I would be eligible for some kind of NDIS help. 

It's just the thought of dealing with another gov dept and all the hassles involved with that. Probably another mental health issue. Sometimes I don't even want to leave the house, let alone engage with bureaucracy.




No comments:

Post a Comment